Does independence matter to clients or not?
It’s been the subject of much debate with the acquirement of many previously independent Quantity Surveying firms in the last decade. But independent doesn’t necessarily mean impartial.
• No allegiances, in theory no bias
• Focus on the output, staff and service, not necessarily profit first as much larger firms might
it doesn’t matter
• advice is advice, if it’s wrong then you have a recourse
• bigger is better, more projects = more data
• reputation should be about performance, not supposition
The fact remains, you’re only as good as your last project, your people and your advice. So make sure all of those things are on point and it probably doesn’t matter if you’re independent or not, you’re doing a good job!